Three months past, I was glued to the couch. As I stared at the black box, I thought about life as someone famous or maybe someone I could be much better than plain old me. A philosopher…nah, I hate using my noggin. A sportsman…a singer, I’ll probably bring the house down, literally…what about an actor? Then it struck me…acting wasn’t that bad nor is it hard. I went to the bar with my old pal and gave my idea. “Acting?? You got to kidding me, Ellie. You can’t act.” He said but I argued about the play I starred in high school. “Yeah, you mainly starred as the spoiler, if you count that as a role!” I like Mike despite of his pessimism and criticism. He was the guy who’d stick around when trouble comes and I tell you when you’re me, troubles come very often. Yet, he’s the one I relied for advice. Boy, am I lucky I didn’t take his on this.
There I stood, staring nervously at the double doors. Gaining enough strength, I gave it a slight push and found myself in a huge hall. A wide stage crowded with loud chattering people and the red curtains hung down majestically, completing the picture. Courageously, I attempted an audition. Sadly, I didn’t get the part. The director even had a nerve to say that I wasn’t cut out for the stage.
So here I was, drinking my problems in the bar down the road. I hadn’t the courage to put up with Mike. I felt like a total flop…no job, a friend who’d probably laugh hysterically at this and gaining age without a proper life!
Morning came; I stared at the ceiling, my head thumped heavily to the beat of my heart. A quote floated into my conscious mind, “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”
I stood up instantly.
I’m not a failure of life but I was a failure for not trying at all!
From then, I knew what I had to do...
***
Anxiously, I sat in front of my mirror. I experimented faces…happy…sad…angry, maybe not, excited…joyful. My thoughts were disturbed by a knock on the door. “He’s ready for you. You’re on in two minutes.” A sweet voice said. I nodded and returned her smile. Confidently, I walked to the stage and stood by the curtains, waiting like a kid who stood in line to try out the new roller coaster. Finally, the hour came…
“I’m Larry King, coming to you live on the Larry King Show. Our guest today started as a Broadway comedian but rapidly ascended the ladder of success in movie history. Named as one of Hollywood’s Debonair Men, welcome Elson Mitchell!”
I flashed a smile to the applauding crowd. Well, what can I say? I had a dream…a dream one day I would be somebody out there. But everyone has dreams, no matter how impossible it may seem to reach it, when we put our mind and soul into our goal, the impossible becomes the possible. It’s never too late to keep that dream of yours. I followed mine, kept on working on my goal and with a lil’ bit of luck, I achieved my dream. What about yours?
Anxiously, I sat in front of my mirror. I experimented faces…happy…sad…angry, maybe not, excited…joyful. My thoughts were disturbed by a knock on the door. “He’s ready for you. You’re on in two minutes.” A sweet voice said. I nodded and returned her smile. Confidently, I walked to the stage and stood by the curtains, waiting like a kid who stood in line to try out the new roller coaster. Finally, the hour came…
“I’m Larry King, coming to you live on the Larry King Show. Our guest today started as a Broadway comedian but rapidly ascended the ladder of success in movie history. Named as one of Hollywood’s Debonair Men, welcome Elson Mitchell!”
I flashed a smile to the applauding crowd. Well, what can I say? I had a dream…a dream one day I would be somebody out there. But everyone has dreams, no matter how impossible it may seem to reach it, when we put our mind and soul into our goal, the impossible becomes the possible. It’s never too late to keep that dream of yours. I followed mine, kept on working on my goal and with a lil’ bit of luck, I achieved my dream. What about yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment